Thursday, May 15, 2008

Josiah's first camping trip

We went camping last weekend near Alpine, AZ. This was Josiah's first camping trip and I'm pretty sure that it was his first time to see a forest. We drove all evening and didn't get to "our" meadow until 1am. It was dark and cold as we set up the new trailer and put the kids into bed. The next morning, Josiah woke up to a very different looking landscape. He was amazed by it all! He kept going to the door and pointing and smiling, wanting us to see all of the trees. The kids bundled up, with the exception of Jack and Kaia insisting on wearing flip flops! It wasn't really cold, but for us desert dwellers, it was! The kids found a patch of snow from an old drift against the trees. They had a ball playing in it. We thoroughly enjoyed the day just being together. The kids played baseball and built a fort out of fallen branches. After lunch I took Noah and Luke on a little hike. Noah was scared to death about encountering a bear or a wolf. He couldn't even enjoy himself! City kids!:) Luke got a good laugh out of his brother and reminded Noah often that he couldn't be scared if he wanted to start hunting next year! Needless to say, we didn't become any meals for wild animals and made it safely back to camp just in time for dad and the little ones to arrive from getting water. I put the little ones down for a much needed nap and then sat down to enjoy a good read. I fell asleep in the sun and Scott and the big boys left me out there while they headed out for another hike. When I woke up, my face was a deep orange kind of color. I looked ridiculous!

I made dinner early so that we could head out and look for elk in the early evening. Josiah loved seeing the elk! He was gesturing excitedly out the window when he saw one. We finished off the evening with a marshmallow roast, much needed baths and a movie. It was a great day!

Josiah really picked up a lot of words over the weekend. He says trees, camping, trailer, I want to sleep here, I want a drink, candy and hot. He's so much fun! It's such a blessing to be able to see the world through his eyes. It's wonderful to see him so happy and enjoying life! What a sweet little guy!





2 comments:

The Hermyzoo! said...

It's so wonderful to see that beautiful smile on Josiah's face. You have completed his world, he has a family and his greatly loved and he feels that. It's truly tremendous and it shows in his smile! A camping trip sounds like such a blast since our last few days of hot weather.

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

What fun!!