Upon returning home, our days were filled with meltdowns. She would be fine for a little while and then out of the blue she'd start a tantrum. It was not uncommon for this to happen four times a day. I tried the "holding time" approach. That was a disaster! She hated me holding her. Finally, after months of tantrums, throwing up, wetting her pants, etc., I decided to let her go while I stayed nearby. That seemed to shorten the length and frequency of the tantrum. When they were over, I would pick her up and comfort her and that's when we had our break-through in bonding. She was pretty receptive to me giving her comfort at those times. I can't point to one moment in particular that bonded us. I think that time was the most important factor in our bonding process with Kaia. We had to show her that we loved her and she had to know that we weren't going to leave her. This took a lot of time, a lot of reassuring her. I realize now that she is a very independent and strong-willed little sweetie. I think our first year was a combination of her personality, her fears, her grief, and all the other factors of the adoption. Little by little she opened her heart to me and to the rest of our family. It was wonderful to see her trust grow and to see more of her open up day by day. There were precious firsts that year-
getting a kiss on the lips for the first time without having to ask for one, Kaia telling me that she loved me, her little arms wrapped tightly around my neck, her laughter filling the house. It was tough, but very worth it! She is a tremendous blessing. The bonding and attachment happened right under my nose. The thing I was trying so hard to make happen just happened over the course of time and I realized after some time had passed, that I was actually enjoying her and that I felt like her mommy, knowing her likes and dislikes, her personality and some of her history. She is very securely attached to us all. She barely resembles the scared and angry little girl that she was at the beginning. She gives hugs, kisses and always tells me she loves me. She also feels safe enough to tell me when she's not happy with me! She knows that I'm her mommy and that I will love her no matter what.
Josiah's bonding has been very different. He was scared and cried for the first hour after Gotcha Day, but that was it. He wanted me to hold him everywhere we went, even when we saw his ayi's again the following days. He did have periods of being quiet, but overall, his transition was very smooth. Our greatest hurdle in the beginning was teaching him that I am mom and dad is dad. He would go to anyone happily in the beginning. He had no stranger anxiety whatsoever. I knew that this meant he wasn't securely attached and we basically decided to keep him to ourselves for the first month or so. I stayed in with him and did everything for him consistently. I also babied him a great deal. I gave him bottles, held him whenever he wanted and let him regress on potty training. I did all of this with Kaia too, but she didn't respond to it as well. He has been home for nearly four months now and is bonding nicely. He loves his siblings, no problem there at all. He has a strong preference for me and seeks me out constantly. He cries if I have to leave him for a short time, but is comforted by daddy or grandma easily. Overall, I would say that he is bonding to us nicely ad is very attached. He still needs more time with daddy. He refuses to let daddy do much for him and still likes to go to other men. I think two things are at play here, 1. Dad is at work most of the day and when he gets home, there are five kids clamoring for his attention. 2. Kids bond to one person at a time. He'll get there!
Our formal preparation came in the form of classes and books, but the best thing you can do is to prepare your heart before God. To submit to Him through whatever comes, knowing that He has placed THIS child in your arms for a reason. To see His love for you mirrored in a small way in the love that you have for your child, a love that is relentless in it's pursuit of us. The differences are huge obviously. His love never fails and mine does, often. I find that I'm the mommy that I want to be and that He designed me to be when I stay in Him, in His word. Apart from Him I can do nothing. It's a daily struggle for me to set aside time for Him in the midst of being a mommy of five, but it is a must. If I don't do it, my day is drastically different than if I had done it right and taken the time to spend time with Him, letting Him prepare and speak to my heart.


2 comments:
Thanks for a great post on attachment. I think you did such a beautiful job. . in fact, check the RLC blog later, b/c I want to feature you as this week's feature blog buzzer!
Thanks for your vulnerability to share the ups and downs. . .and to point people back to Jesus!
Brandi
Lisa!
I didn't know you were an RLC blogger!
You did a great job on this post!
We are preparing our home and hearts for our newest addition!
Blessings,
Holly from WCF
Post a Comment