Today we went back to the Civil Affairs office to complete the paperwork for Josiah's adoption. I was really worried about how he would handle being in the same place and seeing his ayis again. He was a little worried when we got in the elevator that morning for breakfast. I just kept telling him mei guan xi, or "it's okay". He loved the breakfast buffet and really enjoyed the fruit! He had three plates full of madarin oranges and watermelon. He picked at the rice and the congee. We had a really great day with him! He was singing and having a ball! He goes and goes and goes! I am very busy chasing after him! He did get really tired and cried briefly when grandma and grandpa left for an outing. I tried to get him to sleep but he would start to fall asleep and the instant I went to move him to his crib, he'd wake up. Finally, I gave up the notion of a nap. We'd just take our chances with him running on fumes at the Civil Affairs office. I fed him a cup of easy mac and we watched a little Ice Age 2. He is just such a sweetie. He loves to put his cheek against my lips or m
y cheek. We got into the taxi and headed over to the adoption center. He loves cars, trucks and anything else that moves! He takes in all of the scenery and talks and talks. I wish I could understand it! We got to the office and he would not let me put him down. In fact, all day he would not let me put him down. I had to hold him for his passport photo, he wouldn't stand to be sat in a chair w/o me. His director and his main caretaker were there. He was excited to see them and talked with them, but didn't reach for them or cry. He wanted to be in my lap!! I'm amazed by the transformation. I just loved the director of the orphanage. She was so sweet. She had a backpack full of milk, rice treats and jelly candies for Zheng Zheng. He was so happy with that! She had another surprise for him, apparently a doctor who visited the orphanage frequently just loved Zheng Zheng and she bought him a very cute outfit! It is very clear to me that a lot of people loved him ther
e! One funny note: Zheng Zheng was trying to get into all of the very important paperwork as I was signing it and his nanny reached over and slapped his hand and scolded him! She didn't do it very hard and he laughed but I think she meant business!:) She asked him for a kiss goodbye and he gave it and told her goodbye without incident!We then headed out for the Notary Interview. I rode in the car with the director while Chuck and Joanne followed with Mei. We almost rear-ended a car on the way over. The driving here is incredible! We got there and it went so fast! They asked me three questions like "Do you promise to never abuse or abandon him?" and then that was it! They asked me if I'd like to say anything about the adoption. What can you say to express all of the emotion adequately? I said that, "I'd just like to thank them so much for taking such good care of him and for loving him. He is beautiful and I love him very much." That's all I could manage before the tears came. I was really in a teary kind of mood. I guess it was relief at the fact that the process was half-way over and gratitude that so many people had loved and cared for my son. We th
en headed over to the police station to pick up Josiah's passport. It was ready early! The orphanage had applied for it early! We were also told that we would not be able to visit Josiah's orphanage. I have mixed feelings about this but was sort of relieved that the decision had been made for me. I didn't know what would be best for Josiah. I thought it would probably be too hard on him to go back there. While in the taxi on the way to the police station, I realized that I did not have any small bills! I only had 100 RMB bills. I had asked Mei if this would be okay and she thought the taxi's should have change and said, "Oh, I think it's okay." When I handed the driver the bill he let out a big sigh and made no attempt to hide his disgust! I handed him the few coins I could find but was still short 2 RMB. Whoops!! How embarrassing!! Overall the day went wonderfully! Before leaving, the director looked at Josiah and said, "Zheng Zheng, love your mama." I cried again!We returned to the hotel with a very tired boy. I put him on my lap and he and I both slept on the floor in front of the tv. Grandma and grandpa brought us KFC for dinner. They arrived just in time to find me having to scold Josiah. He was in rare form, throwing food, dumping milk, putting his hands in the toilet- you name it!!! I bathed him, put his pj's on and filled a bottle with milk. I was so hoping that would do the trick! I was exhausted from lack of sleep and emotions. He readily took the bottle and laid down in his crib w/o any fuss. Once he finished the bottle he started fussing. I finally had to relent and take his pj's off, put some different ones on, complete with shoes! He has to have his shoes on and have his orange sweatsuit with him in order to fall asleep. Once I figured that out he went to sleep and slept until 7am! YIPEEE!!
I'll close by saying he is just beautiful. He is so sweet and tender and has a wonderful sense of humor! I just love this boy!!


No comments:
Post a Comment