Saturday, March 8, 2008

WE'RE IN CHENGDU!!!!

Ni hao from China! After 27 hours in the air and waiting in airports, we are officially in Chengdu! (Scott, I really miss having you with me! I could do without that flight too!) Our travel was uneventful, which is a good thing! We did almost miss our flight out of San Francisco. They had changed gates without announcing it and we finally heard the "final boarding call" for our flight. We were some of the last passengers to board. Whew! We were able to sleep some on our flight and I passed the time playing computer games and watching the in-flight movies. Hong Kong was an amazing airport! Huge and very modern. There were so many shops and places to eat that we enjoyed walking around and taking it all in. Grandma had her first mishap of the trip and I was to blame for it! OOPS! She said she needed some caffeine, so I suggested ICED tea from Starbucks. She was half-way through it when she realized that the ice part wasn't such a good idea! Yikes!

After our layover we headed out for Chengdu. We descended through a thick blanket of clouds and couldn't even see the wings of the airplane out of our window as we approached the runway. Visibility was that poor. We made a rather rough and fast landing into a rainy, overcast Chengdu. This trip we breezed through customs, easily found our luggage and were very thankful to have everything go so smoothly! We met Mei, our guide, just outside of the customs area. She is very sweet and helpful! She's taking us around Chengdu tomorrow for some shopping and sightseeing. I'm hoping the weather clears so that I can get some good pictures for you all!

We are checked into our room at the Yinhe Dynasty. It's a very nice hotel and the service is excellent! They brought us a beautiful guidebook, some hot towels and fruit to greet us. Wow, wouldn't find that at any place we stay back home!

I was able to call Scott on Skype. What a wonderful thing to have! Hopefully, I'll get to talk to the kids via the videocam in a few hours when they wake up. Can't wait to see them again! So, we're settled in nicely! We took showers and a much needed nap! That's the extent of day one in Chengdu.

We meet Josiah Zheng Zheng at 10:00 am on Monday! One more day!!

Noah, Luke, Jack, and Kaia- mommy misses you so much and I love you! Have fun with daddy!

With Love from China,

Lisa, Grandma Joanne and Papa Chuck

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you're on the ground! I was following your flights all day yesterday on the internet and I had several students and my assistant watching out for you too. It was fun! Scott, the kids, Keith, Emma and I are gonna go on a little hike and take some photos of the wildflowers today, and then I think Kaia and anyone else who wants to will stay overnight with me and Emma. You guys rest up and enjoy yourselves as much as possible -- this is an amazing thing you're doing! Love, Jen